Sunday, April 21, 2013

English Cottage

English Cottage
Oil on Canvas
Palette Knife Painting
12" x 16"
I just completed this painting two weeks ago in a palette knife painting class with Thomas Stotts.  I had so much fun in this class and hope to continue using only a palette knife to create thick, colorful oil paintings.  It was hard to get used to the technique because I hate using so much paint.  Once I let that thought go and got lost in the process it was a blast though.  There are places on the painting that have almost half an inch of paint on it.

Color mixing was much more difficult than I thought it would be.  I've mixed colors before and not really thought much of it, but when I was trying to get very specific colors I was often disappointed.  Unfortunately perspectives are a huge weakness for me.  I should have spent more time on the initial sketch to ensure that everything lined up the way it should, but I got a little too excited to start with the paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment